Losing functionality to your air conditioning system can be an uncomfortable experience, especially during the peak heat of the summer months. In extreme temperatures a broken air conditioner can even be dangerous, especially to the elderly. There are a variety of reasons that can cause an air conditioner to stop functioning properly. The technicians at Coastal Refrigeration are experts at identifying these issues and getting your air conditioner back in working order so you can beat the heat.
Common Causes of Air Conditioner Issues
While you may not be able to fix your air conditioner without an experienced technician, you may be able to identify the problem. Here are just a handful of the issues that are commonly identified when an air conditioning unit stops working correctly:
- Faulty Wiring – Shoddy and haphazard wiring can not only knock out the functionality of your system, but also poses a fire hazard. This should be dealt with as soon as possible.
- Low Refrigerant (Freon) – The chemical the cools the air in the system may be at reduced levels because of a leak. Any refrigerant leaks should be identified and repaired as soon as possible.
- Broken Outside Fan – The outside fan is what takes the heat from your home to the outside air. If the fan is not working, the transfer of the air cannot take place. It can cause damage to the rest of the air conditioner if the system is run while it isn’t functioning.
- Outside Unit Not Functioning – This could indicate a faulty thermostat or a general lack of power to the system.
- Frozen Coil – A frozen coil generally indicates there is an issue with airflow. This may be caused from blocked air filters or ducts. This can also result from low refrigerant.
How Much Does Air Conditioner Repair Cost?
When it comes to providing a quote for air conditioner repair, a CRC technician will first need to diagnose the issue and see if any parts need to be replaced. Depending on the level of damage, the cost of air conditioner repairs can vary. There are also many different parts within an AC system and some or more costly to replace than others. Taking a DIY approach is also not recommended as you can end up causing more problems in the system. Hiring a professional is almost always the best option when it comes to repairing any of the HVAC systems in your home.
If you suspect your system is in need of repairs, Coastal Refrigeration Corp. offers our clients free estimates for cooling repairs and other related services.
Utilizing a Preventative Maintenance Plan for Air Conditioner Repair
The best way to avoid costly air conditioner repairs is to have a preventative maintenance program in place. With proper care, an air conditioning unit can last for 15 to 20 years. Any of the common issues can be discovered during routine maintenance checks and dealt with before they becoming bigger issues. If you need a professional to perform air conditioner repair or check your cooling system for any future issues, contact Coastal Refrigeration today. We serve Monmouth, Ocean, and Middlesex County, New Jersey.
Should You Repair or Replace Your Air Conditioner?
Figuring out when to repair or replace your air conditioner can be tough. To begin with, replacing an air conditioner can be a more pricey endeavor, so make sure that your old AC unit is on its last leg before doing so. In most cases, your system can be repaired, but at a certain point it can become financially beneficial to simply replace an old system. Most air conditioners have a lifespan around 10-15 years, so if you find that you are needing repairs often and the system is around this old, you may want to consider upgrading. If you’re not sure which is the better option for you, an NJ Refrigeration professional can come take a look at your system and give an informed opinion about which option is in your best interest.
More NJ Refrigeration Air Conditioning Services
NJ Refrigeration offers more than just repair services for your air conditioning system. We also offer:
- Air Conditioning Installation
- Air Conditioning Replacement
- AC Tune Up
- General Air Conditioning Maintenance
- Diagnosing Efficiency Problems in Air Conditioning Systems
Our primary service locations include Monmouth, Ocean and Middlesex County, NJ.