One of the easy ways to avoid issues with your furnace is to stay on top of changing the filters. If you’re wondering how long you should go between replacement, there is no single answer as furnaces have different designs and may require different filters than other furnaces. A good rule of thumb is to change 1-2 inch filters every three months, 4 inch filters every six months, and 5 in filters once a year. However, if you are unsure of how much time has passed or want to tell by simply looking at your filters there are a few signs to look for.
Signs Your Furnace’s Air Filter Needs to Be Changed
If you aren’t sure whether it’s time for an air filter change in your furnace, there are a few simple things you may notice such as:
- The filter is visibly dirty. If you can’t see the material of the filter itself, it should absolutely be replaced.
- The heating/cooling system is running more frequently than normal.
- Your house is dustier than usual.
- You notice strange smells, or a burning smell near your HVAC unit.
- Your heating bill has gone up noticeably.
Factors That Affect the Lifespan of Your Furnace Filters
There are a number of factors that can increase or decrease the lifespan of your furnace filters. If you live in a mild climate where you only need to use your furnace for a few hours at a time or for a couple months each year, you can typically replace your furnace filter less frequently than someone who needs to run their system many hours a day for many months of the year.
The size of your house will also affect a furnace filter’s lifespan. Smaller homes require less air to be pumped for the same amount of temperature change as a larger house. For this reason, larger homes will require furnace filter changes more often.
Your furnace filter’s replacement cycle is also affected by the air outside and within your home. If you have poor air quality outside or pets inside, you’ll need to replace your air filter more frequently.
Heating Services From Coastal Refrigeration Corp.
Coastal Refrigeration Corp. provides professional heating services in Monmouth, Ocean, and Middlesex County, NJ, including but not limited to:
- Heating Installation – Our highly experienced, educated, and skill team of technicians can help you find a heating system that fits your budget and the unique needs of your home.
- Heating Repairs – We can help diagnose and repair any heating system problems.
- Heating System Tune Up – We recommend that our customers have regular maintenance and tune ups performed on their furnace and boiler once a year.
- Heat Pump Installation – Our expert heating technicians will help you find the heat pump that is right for your budget and the size and layout of your home or business.
- Heat Pump Repair – Our technicians are ready to assist you with heat pump repair so you can get back to living in comfort as soon as possible.
- Furnace Installation – Our skilled team of technicians can help you find a furnace that fits your budget and the unique needs of your home.
- Furnace Repair – Coastal Refrigeration Corp. offers around the clock furnace repair.
- Boiler Installation – The experienced installation team at Coastal Refrigeration will get your boiler installed quickly and easily.
- Boiler Repair – Our team of professional technicians will get your boiler repair job done in a timely and affordable manner.